Ryan Cinfel's Reviews > The Only Road

The Only Road by Alexandra Diaz

bookshelves: diverse-books

The this book, I chose a collage of images that show important facts or information about events and characters in the book. I believe that a collage would be fitting for this book based on the main character's (Jaime) use of art and sketches throughout. I made a collage of images using the Pages app on an iPad and attached the image of it to my Canvas assignment submission. Using art in book responses allows students to express their knowledge of the book through artistic intelligence and sequencing, as mentioned in the article "Do Book Reports Make Boys Want to...Scream" by Margie Gelbwasser. It is very important for children to not be pigeonholed into specific outcomes for their learning, and a teacher need to take into account their strengths and areas for improvement when deciding upon their learning goals and outcomes. Allowing students to work in areas and skills in which they thrive, typically starts them off on a better path to success. Here are my reasons for the image choices I used in the collage:

1) train and 2) crowd: I chose both of these images because I feel that one of the most significant parts of the book deals with the train crossing and the confinement felt on the train as Jaime and Angela tried to make their way into the United States. This part of the book shows how many people at that time were attempting the same path to freedom, and for many separate and unique reasons.
3) Guatemala Map: I included this map simply because the starting point of the story is in Guatemala.
4) chalk and sketchbook: This is one of the most important images related to the book, I feel. Art was introduced in many places in the book, and one of the Alphas stole some of Jaime's art supplies early in the story, how Jaime packed art supplies, even though they may not have been the most practical items to bring, and how Jaime used art to address certain situations during the book.
5) wooden coffin: I included the coffin image because this is where the story really begins. The Alphas in the story were hurting and killing people for a long time, but it wasn't until Miguel, a member of the main character's family, is killed that Jaime's family really jumps into action. This is when they start planning for Jaime and Angela to escape to the United States.
6) Church: The church represents the safe house in the book, which is an actual church in El Paso that Jaime and Angela arrive at in the story.
7) The final image is the word family in Spanish, which is La Familia: I wanted to include this image and word because in this story, I think you really start to see how the word family can be so different for many people. I think of my family as my parents, siblings, and my children. I think mostly of my immediate family. In the story, Jaime's family includes siblings, parents, grandparents, neighbors, friends, and even a few characters such as Pancho who help them get to the United States.

References:
Gelbwasser, M. (2010). Do Book Reports Make Boys Want to…SCREAM!? Instructor, 120(3), 60. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.asp...

Diaz, A. (2018). Only Road. New York: Simon & Schuster.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Only Road.

Finished Reading