Lola's Reviews > Silent Bud Deadly

Silent Bud Deadly by H.Y. Hanna

bookshelves: books-that-i-own, for-review, e-books-on-ipad

I received a free copy from the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

After how good book 1 was I was excited to dive right into book 2 soon after I received it. And I am happy to say book 2 is just as good. Silent Bud Deadly follows Poppy as she's working hard to restore her grandmother's garden nursery, but when she gets a job gardening she stumbles upon another murder.

The mystery in this was one was great. I did manage to predict who the murderer was, but not because it was too obvious, it just suddenly clicked for me when they did something. And there was enough I hadn't figured out yet and I enjoyed seeing Poppy put the pieces together. There is a great twist, which I found quite unique as it's not something I've seen so far in cozy mysteries as far as I can remember. I also liked how we slowly figure out more about the murdered women and who might've had motive to kill her. It also was interesting how at first there didn't seem as many suspects, until Poppy discovers more and then more suspects pop-up.

Besides the mystery there's Poppy who's building a life for herself here in this new town she moved to. I loved seeing how she was doing and also her struggles with gardening. It made sense she made some mistakes, although I wasn't happy when she lied to someone. I did liked when she admitted she made mistakes as she seemed open minded enough to realize when she was wrong and correct that. I like Poppy as a character and it was great to see how she was going with her garden.

There are also some interesting surprises among the side characters. There are some new characters like Amber, Christine and John we meet who have to do with Poppy's gardening job. We hear more about Nell and there's a fun development with her. I liked seeing how the detective Suzanne and Poppy interact. And Nick still continues to be a promising love interest for Poppy, they annoy each other sometimes, but it's clear they do care about each other. But it really is only a hint so far of possible romance, but it will be great to see how that develops. I also liked seeing what Bertie is up to in this book and how one of his inventions plays a role in the investigating part. And the pets Owen and the terrier (forgot his name) make multiple appearances as well. It's a great cast of side characters.

To summarize: this was an awesome sequel. I had so much fun reading it and figuring out the mystery alongside with poppy. I managed to guess the murderer correctly, which was fun, but there were parts I only figured out when Poppy did. There is a great twist concerning the mystery which was really well done. I like seeing Poppy settling in here in her new house and town and how she's working on her gardening skills. It felt realistic that she made mistakes and even tough I didn't always agree with how she handled things, I do think her reasoning made sense and was in character. There is a great cast of side characters and also some great connections Poppy makes with them. All in all this is a great new series and I would recommend it to those who love cozies!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent Bud Deadly.

March 1, 2019 – Shelved