Jonathan Pongratz's Reviews > In the Time of Dinosaurs

In the Time of Dinosaurs by K.A. Applegate

bookshelves: super-interested

Original review at Jaunts & Haunts

5/5

I gave this book five civilization-saving stars!

I'm not sure why this continuation of the Animorphs saga gets such a bad wrap, but I'm hear to say that I believe it's a bunch of bologna!

This is the second Megamorphs (or #18.5) in the series, and the stakes have never been higher.
Our dear Animorph friends get news that a nuclear submarine has gone missing in the ocean nearby. Being the heroes that they are, they decide to investigate and help save lives if possible.

However, when said nuclear submarine explodes, it knocks the Animorphs out. When they come to, they are shocked beyond belief. The waters are clearer than ever, the skies bluer than they've seen before, and suddenly they're on the run from seafaring... dinosaurs?

Scrambling to survive in this dangerous era of Earth's existence, the Animorphs have to figure out how to get home, or die trying.

This is definitely one of my favorite Animorphs books.

True to Megamorph style, this book has shared POVs between all Animorph characters. They each get a fair amount of limelight, and their perspectives are all believable. I mean, how are you supposed to feel when you've been thrust 65 million years in the past with dinosaurs chomping at you every five minutes? Talk about terrifying!

The plot was really simple at first. They obviously want to get home. But along the way, things got delightfully more complex, especially around the halfway point. I'm not going to give it away, but it definitely gave it a more scifi element than it already had.

The concept was great. I love me some time travel. This book (for me, at least) managed to reignite my sense of amazement around dinosaurs. Reading this, I started thinking questions I haven't asked myself in over a decade. What were the dinosaurs like? What was the world like? What happened to all of them?

Obviously we don't necessarily have a straight answer to that since there is too much speculation, but this was a creative reimagining of what could have been, and I loved every minute of it.

This book also gravitated towards the darker concepts of things. It sucks having to make terrible, awful decisions, with no clear win-win scenario, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and the Animorphs did the best they could.

I will admit, there is a minor inconsistency with the healing ability of the morphs (something other reviewers have picked apart many a time over), but ultimately, this book was nostalgic, riveting, and sparked my almost forgotten sense of wonder about our world and where things came from.

Couldn't have asked for more from a book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Time of Dinosaurs.

March 1, 2019 – Shelved