Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir

Save Me the Plums by Ruth Reichl

bookshelves: read2019, reviewcopy, ebooks, netgalley, foodie, biography-memoir

If you have followed Ruth Reichl through her memoirs, this takes place between Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise and My Kitchen Year: 136 Recipes That Saved My Life, telling the story of her experience as the editor for Gourmet Magazine up until its shocking closure. I feel this memoir is for foodies first, but will also be of interest for anyone in publishing or the arts. The people working for Gourmet cultivated an environment of creative exploration and perfection that made the magazine what it is, and I loved reading about each person's contributions and how the magazine reflected the changing culture of food in the United States. There's an entire chapter, for instance, about the publication of "Consider the Lobster" by David Foster Wallace, which I had no idea was first published in Gourmet!

In a different voice, I can see how this story could be obnoxious. So many famous people, so many fancy meals and expensive restaurants, so many trends in food and fashion. But Ruth Reichl is so direct, honest, and open that the story transforms into something more heartwarming than it feels it has the right to be.

Unlike My Kitchen Year which is sometimes referred to as a cookbook (although I personally still feel it is more memoir than recipe), this memoir only has 3-4 recipes. I have my eye on that chocolate cake that helped her establish kitchen credibility with her staff. If I make it, I'll come back to post a link here.

This book comes out April 2. I received an early copy from Random House through NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Save Me the Plums.

March 1, 2019 – Started Reading
March 3, 2019 – Shelved as: ebooks
March 3, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 3, 2019 – Shelved as: foodie
March 3, 2019 – Shelved as: biography-memoir

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly You’ve piqued my interest! I haven’t ventured into memoir territory in awhile!