preoccupiedbybooks's Reviews > The Good Samaritan

The Good Samaritan by John Marrs

A dark, crazy, story with many plot twists!

OMFG I'm exhausted after having read this! That was one crazy ride! Most of the characters were unlikeable, but Laura...there's a special place in hell for her!! I don't think I have ever hated a character as much as I hated her...and yet I kept devouring the book?! I was gripped, and just had to know what happened! I think that shows the strength of the writing, that I thoroughly detested her, but just couldn't put the book down. Laura is totally on the 'I'm scared shitless of you and NEVER want to meet you list,' and will probably haunt my dreams tonight...
description
I'm not going to go into the plot because I don't want to ruin anyone's wtf moments. BUT it was very entertaining that was for sure! It was so dark...really quite disturbing actually. Very uncomfortable reading-it definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea! Suicide is not easy to read about, so be wary of that.

I haven't rated this quite as highly as John Marrs' other books, purely because the last few chapters were a bit too crazy for me? It was very unbelievable, and you just kind of have to go with it. There were definitely some huge coincidences thrown in there too! I liked the actual ending, but the few chapters before it were a bit too much for me.

I cant give it lower than 4 stars though because I was just enthralled (in a sick way) the whole time. It was so twisted, and even though I thought I knew where the plot was going, I did not. It was insane!!!

So if you like an unreliable, deranged characters, creepy, twisty plotlines that have you by the throat, maybe give this one a try?

I will definitely be thinking about this one for a while....
description

Can John Marrs make it 3/3 great reads this year?! No pressure John! 😂

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Samaritan.

February 28, 2019 – Shelved
February 28, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
August 9, 2019 – Started Reading
August 14, 2019 –
5.0% "Wow John Marrs does not shy away from the more 'interesting' characters! 😂"
August 17, 2019 –
20.0% "Horrifying, and yet strangely compelling..."
August 21, 2019 –
46.0% "Really enjoying this!"
August 21, 2019 –
61.0% "What is happening?!😱😱😱"
August 22, 2019 –
71.0% "Me: Wow Laura is really crazy, surely things can't get any more shocking?!
Laura: Hold my beer.... 😂😱
"
August 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Fingers crossed for you!!!

preoccupiedbybooks Aoife wrote: "Fingers crossed for you!!!"

Thanks! I'm sure I will love it, and can expect some crazy characters and shananigans 😂

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Excellent, I still regularly think of The One which you reviewed a while back...I've a lot of train journeys this coming week - I might snap that one up for something completely different to alternate with the Cosmere 🤔

Dita Forgive me in advance if I stalk your review. This is one of my Top 5 faves books of all time. Laura is CRAY-ZEE.

preoccupiedbybooks Aoife wrote: "Excellent, I still regularly think of The One which you reviewed a while back...I've a lot of train journeys this coming week - I might snap that one up for something completely different to altern..."

Ha two very different books! I love to switch between genres though 😁
I quite like reading on the train...

preoccupiedbybooks Dita wrote: "Forgive me in advance if I stalk your review. This is one of my Top 5 faves books of all time. Laura is CRAY-ZEE."

Stalk away Dita! 😂
Is it really in your top 5?! Wow! I'm starting it later, and I'm excited!

Dita I so agree, I am in the middle of the audio version and it is just beyond disturbing.

Dita Oh yes, 100% this is one of my all-time faves.

preoccupiedbybooks Dita wrote: "Oh yes, 100% this is one of my all-time faves."

Laura is very complex so far, I like the way we are slowly seeing bits of her life, whilst also seeing her er job! She's such a judgmental bitch 😂

message 10: by Dita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dita preoccupiedbybooks wrote: "Dita wrote: "Oh yes, 100% this is one of my all-time faves."

Yessss!

message 11: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK This looks great.. Superb Review!

message 12: by Nilufer (new) - added it

Nilufer Ozmekik Wow! How did I miss this book! It’s already on my list! You wrote such an amazing review my book twin and encouraged me to read this at first! I should devour every page of it . 😂👍🏻

preoccupiedbybooks Sumit wrote: "This looks great.. Superb Review!"

Thanks Sumit! :)

preoccupiedbybooks Nilufer wrote: "Wow! How did I miss this book! It’s already on my list! You wrote such an amazing review my book twin and encouraged me to read this at first! I should devour every page of it . 😂👍🏻"

Thanks Nilufer! It's a crazy, disturbing book and I need a fluffy read after reading it! I hope you like it!

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling You make me want to read Marrs books so badly!
When I get off my self-imposed book buying ban (after my trip next month - have to keep the credit card free till then *gulp*) I am hopefully snapping up one of his books - great review as always!
Thanks lady!

preoccupiedbybooks Aoife wrote: "You make me want to read Marrs books so badly!

Thanks lovely! I actually bought the one in a charity shop, and got the other two on offer 99p each 😮I'm also trying not to buy new books though until I've read loads I own... It's hard! #bookwormproblems😂

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling I wish we had charity shops here for that very reason 😭😭😭😭 ... well and being able to donate stuff I don't use anymore!

I make do with Kindle books and my self-imposed pricepoint of $10 or less *sigh*
I also cannot buy all the physical books I would like as I have very little storage space and cannot fit a bookshelf in my appartment - FOR SHAME!!
I also hate handbags so love being able to access everything on my kindle as if I wear the right jacket I don't need a bag 😈

You are #bookwormgoals 😎