Michael's Reviews > Aloha from Hell

3193784
Feb 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: e-reader

What can I say, I was on a Kadrey kick.

I did not enjoy Aloha from Hell as much as I hoped I would. Part of this comes from my own expectations. I was looking forward to more interaction with the earthly (read: alive) characters, especially the relationship between Stark and Candy. While there is a little of this, a good deal of the book takes place after Stark return Downtown to once again exact revenge upon Mason, the current ruler of Hell.

All right, I get that Stark is still pissed that Mason threw him into Hell in the first place and that he had Alice killed. However, when the person you are looking to avenge comes to you in a dream and essentially says "Dude, let it go already," maybe you should listen.

Stark can't, of course, because there is also this pesky universe to save. I think that my biggest disappointment was the time spent in Hell. Coming off of the vivid and imaginative description of Butcher Bird, spending time walking around with Stark in a Hell that is essentially a really jacked version of Los Angeles was just a let down.

My other problem was that Stark spends a lot of time walking around Downtown. Don't get me wrong, the descriptions are knock down, make me disturb the person next to me by snort laughing funny. It just seemed a bit tedious after a while. Stark does a little too much soul searching for me. The descriptions of the creation of the universe were interesting, but again, a little lengthy.

The end however, that was not what I expected.

I did enjoy the third Sandman Slim novel, but not nearly as much as the first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aloha from Hell.

February 1, 2012 – Started Reading