Bonnie McDaniel's Reviews > Once & Future

Once & Future by Amy Rose Capetta

did not like it
bookshelves: read-in-2019, did-not-finish, young-adult, science-fantasy, space-opera, magic, magic-wielders, lgbt

I tried my best with this book, but I just couldn't manage it. The description seemed like the kind of thing I would like: a queer, genderflipped version of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, set in a space opera-ish future. Unforuntately, I got about two-thirds of the way through and my reading and enjoyment ground to a halt. The story is dull, the characters are thin and cardboardy, and the worldbuilding is embarrassing. (Sorry, but casting the Galaxy-Wide Corporation as the Big Bad without the slightest explanation of how it got that way and what happened to other planetary governments--not to mention what happened to Earth--doesn't cut it. Not to mention the science and technology doesn't even rise to the level of Star Wars Lite.) I was also reading another non-fiction book, and when I realized I looked forward to picking that one up and continuing a lot more than I did this, I knew it was time to give it up. This book gets donated to the library, and I hope they can find a better audience for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once & Future.

February 28, 2019 – Shelved