Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic's Reviews > The Perfect Date

The Perfect Date by Evelyn Lozada
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4590441
's review

it was ok
bookshelves: arc, new-adult

Thank you St. Martin's Press for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I buddy read this with the lovely Azrah and we're both frustrated. Definitely check out her review! :)

Well...that was disappointing. Don't let the cover deceive you it's gonna be a fluffy and cute romance novel. IT'S NOT and I am so frustrated because it's loaded with drama, the relationship between the characters is toxic and the hero is HORRIBLE. Having diverse characters aren't enough for me to like the book, the heroine and her son saved this book.

LIKES
* The heroine. Angel Gomez is a fighter. She's a student nurse and I admire her perseverance. Sometimes she's quick-tempered but it's understandable because it's tough balancing her job, studies and raising an asthmatic kid. Everyday she has to deal w/ her pervert and sexist bosses just to provide their daily expenses and her son's medicine. It's pretty stressful but she handles it like a champ.

*The heroine's son. Jose is an adorable kid. He's a huge fan of Duke and it's impossible to hate this child. He's lovely, gentle and cute. Angel raised him well and I love how passionate he is on baseball in spite of his condition.

DISLIKES :

* The hero. Caleb "Duke" Lewis is an arrogant, stubborn and condescending guy. He's a trash and I don't like how he treats Angel. He's very rude and there are couple of times he left her hanging. I'm more irritated when he said that her boring life needs to be boosted. THE. AUDACITY. OF. THIS. GUY. Good thing the heroine is merciful but if I were her, I'll dump him without second thoughts.

* The drama. Like I mentioned, it's filled with it and I'm stressed! It's way over the top. Duke's ex, Regina and his father loves stirring trouble. Don't get me started with Dr. Collins, Angel's boss. That dude deserves to be on jail for sexual harassment.

* The writing style. It's engaging and quick-paced but it's choppy. The scenes abruptly shifts from one point to another and it's confusing. I thought I was reading Angel's part and I didn't realize I was on Duke's.

This book needs polishing and unfortunately I don't recommend it. It'll only stress you out and too bad it has a lot of potential.
34 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Date.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

February 28, 2019 – Shelved
February 28, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
February 28, 2019 – Shelved as: new-adult
March 1, 2019 – Started Reading
March 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

✨ A ✨ I'm sad that this wasn't as good as we thought it was going to be : (


Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Azrah wrote: "I'm sad that this wasn't as good as we thought it was going to be : ("

Girl same! I'm frustrated with this book. :(


message 3: by Ari (new)

Ari You know, I was gonna request this one and now I’m glad I didn’t. 😂😂 Great Review, Bea!


message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Brunson Oh no! I started it over a week ago and haven't picked it back up since. I had a feeling it would be a letdown. Great honest review!


Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Ari wrote: "You know, I was gonna request this one and now I’m glad I didn’t. 😂😂 Great Review, Bea!"

Thank you, Ari! :D <3 Good thing you didn't and I'm sure you'll be frustrated. :P


Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Kayla wrote: "Oh no! I started it over a week ago and haven't picked it back up since. I had a feeling it would be a letdown. Great honest review!"

Thank you, Kayla! :D <3


✨ A ✨ Oh my God beatrice did you go back and read the blurb?? It mentions how she's in nursing school to take care of her son and her mother?? What? Did I miss this some how? The blurb is completely different to the book I read!


message 8: by Beatrice (last edited Mar 01, 2019 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Azrah wrote: "Oh my God beatrice did you go back and read the blurb?? It mentions how she's in nursing school to take care of her son and her mother?? What? Did I miss this some how? The blurb is completely diff..."

I went back and read the blurb. That's weird because her mother is absent throughout the book. Didn't she lose her after she got pregnant? From what I've read, Angel is providing for her son.


✨ A ✨ Beatrice wrote: "Azrah wrote: "Oh my God beatrice did you go back and read the blurb?? It mentions how she's in nursing school to take care of her son and her mother?? What? Did I miss this some how? The blurb is c..."

Exactly! And also this part of the blurb didn't make sense: “However, his last breakup left him distracted and made him turn to drink. When he’s caught by the Yankees manager at a party instead of training, he’s suspended and sent back to the Bronx to get his head straight.

Angel and Duke’s worlds collide one night at the club and sparks fly.”


Huh? That's not why Duke started drinking?! And he wasn't sent to the Bronx. And also there were definitely no ‘sparks flying’ at the club 😂


Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Azrah wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Azrah wrote: "Oh my God beatrice did you go back and read the blurb?? It mentions how she's in nursing school to take care of her son and her mother?? What? Did I miss this some ho..."

Didn't he started drinking because (view spoiler)

Angel and Duke's first encounter was more of a disaster. Azrah, what mess have we got into? LOL


Questian Im about to read it. Should i forgo?


back to top