Sherilyn Lipke's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Feb 06, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, books, classics, favorites, historical, realistic, ya-fiction
Recommended to Sherilyn by: Melanie Fair
Read from February 06 to 09, 2012

This book is AMAZING. I love the way the author chose to narrate it. Perfection. Now I will admit, the beginning is somewhat slow, and the story, while amazing and catching, isn't one I felt like staying up to read until 3am. It has a patient yet impatient drive to it. There are times when you can stop and focus on homework or sleep or pee in peace, but there are other times when you can't do anything because that book is just ON YOUR MIND. It has that balance and (as a busy person,) that made this book 100 times more desirable. It's the flip-side of the traditional Holocaust stories, through the eyes of a young German girl, and I think that (plus the choice of narrator) made this book really unique in it's genre. I highly suggest this book, but I think only a select few will finish this book. If you aren't much of a reader (as in you've read The Hunger Games and Twilight but otherwise you don't really enjoy it) this book is not for you. It's a book for people who read, who push through a slow read to get to the really good stuff. If you're interested in the Holocaust, but only in the Jewish side of it, this book may not be for you. There are (of course) Jews in it and there are things directly related to Jewish people, but this story isn't about them. It's about a young girl growing up in WWII Germany and her life and struggles.
I was told by many that I NEEDED to read this book, and they were so right. It's one of those awesome books that re-adjusts your perspective on not just your life and the way you're choosing to live it, but on the entire universe and how it works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.