Basia Bocian's Reviews > Netochka Nezvanova

Netochka Nezvanova by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Feb 06, 2012

it was ok

The most popular words in this book are: pale, blush and despair. I even performed some statistics on my kindle, the word "pale" appears 35 times, "blush" - 26 times and "despair" - 24 times while the word "girl" appears only 23 times (and it's a book about a girl who meets another girl at one point). Basically, what people do in this story is constant blushing and turning pale in turns. In the beginning the book was really promising, there was a great character of Netochka's stepfather, whose complexity reminded me of Dostoevsky we know from Crime and Punishment and to this point I would say it was at least a 4 star book but in the second half of the book we have to deal with highly annoying, emotionally unstable female characters who blush just to turn pale the next second and faint in the end... for no actual reason, which in my opinion shows us only that they all suffered from some sort of strange cardiovascular disease.
At least it gives you hope if you want to become a writer - even Dostoevsky had his weak moments. So don't give in to despair.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Netochka Nezvanova.

February 6, 2012 – Started Reading
February 6, 2012 – Shelved
February 9, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Abhinav (new)

Abhinav It is an unfinished work...don't think ill of poor Dostoevsky who was exiled to Siberia while working on the book! ;)

message 2: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean Holland Are you sure it isn't Tears? I guess it's split between tears and crying, but my god someone melts down at least once a page.

Sarah 😹😹 you seriously made me laugh !
The best review so far