Jilly's Reviews > A is for Alibi

A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, late-to-the-party

Wait, should I shelved this in "Historical Fiction"?
So, yeah, you can call me a trend-setter. I'm up on the hip scene of today. I know what is cool... or as you kids might say, I'm DTF. (That means Definitely Trendy and Fresh, right?)

Oh, I'm sure you are wrong Inigo Montoya. I'm very fleek and shit.

Alright, so I've had this book since childhood and decided now was the perfect time to read it. Yes, my TBR pile is slightly unruly....

I was okay with the idea that this was written in the 1980's, so I expected all of the lack of civilization that I have no idea how we lived without. I mean, people drove around in cars without texting and walked through the grocery store without talking on the phone. How did they kill time while waiting for a restaurant table or a doctor's appointment? Did they actually touch those nasty old magazines at the doctor's office with the germs of a billion sick people writhing like a primordial bacteria soup just waiting for the next victim? And, there wasn't even Purell back then. It's like we lived like filthy animals or something. They used payphones! payphones!

Yeah, so that's the world this is set in. Just think: no technology, lots of germs, and giant hairdos held up with cans and cans of ozone-killing hairspray.

A timely reminder... Holy crap, is that guy's gold medallion necklace tangled in his chest hair? *gagging*
Didn't they have Crest White Strips yet?
Where's my Purell?

Okay. So, Kinsey is a private investigator who is looking into an old murder after the person who was wrongfully convicted gets out of prison. This story is completely procedural as she goes through her steps of solving the crime. Did I solve it before her? Yes. Of course I did. But, there was one little detail that surprised me, so that was fun. (view spoiler)

And, despite this reading a little bit like an old Murder She Wrote episode, I liked Kinsey. She was very human and easy to understand. She wasn't a special snowflake. She wasn't so beautiful that every guy wanted her. She wasn't even the smartest person in the room most of the time. But, I found her likable because of all of that.

As for the writing style - well, it got a bit wordy in the descriptions. A lot of skimming is necessary when reading about the characteristics of a rooftop or which streets she passed while jogging. And, there's a lot of jogging in this book. I mean, we actually go with her on her jogs. I didn't quite get why we couldn't have just read the words, "after her jog...." instead of reading about where she jogged, how long she jogged, and her after-jog shower. But, hey, maybe the author wanted to inspire us to get off our fat asses, put down the book, and run for no reason. Whatever. I read it with no guilt while eating cookie dough straight from the package like a banana.

You aren't the boss of me!

I'm going to keep reading this series, because, what the hell... reasons....But, I'm also curious if the books will morph through the years as the series was written to reflect the changes in the real world as they happened, or if it will stay set in the 1980's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A is for Alibi.

February 27, 2019 – Shelved
February 27, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery
February 27, 2019 – Shelved as: late-to-the-party
February 28, 2019 – Started Reading
February 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Tami (new)

Tami Winbush If I were drinking milk right now it would be coming out of my nose. Damn you're funny.

Zoeytron Fantastically funny review, Jilly. You have the touch.

message 3: by Mel (last edited Feb 28, 2019 05:16AM) (new)

Mel I've never read this series, but it's one of my mom's favorites and she's recommended it for years. Something tells me I'd be far more entertained by your review than the actual book. If you're curious, this is the passage that made me giggle like a loon.
On a serious note, I'm thankful to have been 15 when the 80's were over and that there are no pictures like that of me in existence. I'm also quite thankful for Purell and Crest White Strips. 🤣😈🤓

Jilly Tami wrote: "If I were drinking milk right now it would be coming out of my nose. Damn you're funny."

I was watching a video clip on Facebook yesterday that cracked me up and made me spit water all over my keyboard. I'm just glad I don't drink milk. ;)

Jilly Zoeytron wrote: "Fantastically funny review, Jilly. You have the touch."

Thanks, Zoey! I'm just crazy and think crazy thoughts. :P

Jilly Mel wrote: "I'm thankful to have been 15 when the 80's were over and that there are no pictures like that of me in existence."

Lucky girl...... Here's mine. I think it was late '80's, early '90's maybe....

Me and my brother. I had some sort of side hair thing going with it pulled back on one side and hair-sprayed within an inch of its life on the other. That's what you call "stylish"......

Kelly (and the Book Boar) This review is amazing. And this book? Well, it needed more shoulder pads and less jogging ; )

Jilly Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "This review is amazing. And this book? Well, it needed more shoulder pads and less jogging ; )"

hehe... shoulder pads... why 1980's? Why?

message 9: by carol. (last edited Feb 28, 2019 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

carol. "eating cookie dough straight from the package like a banana" You crack me up, girl. Your bananas come in packages? Or is the other kind of banana in a package...

description

Jilly All good things come in big packages....

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly Yeah I don't want to go on a jog, never mind read about someone going on a jog. Color me not inspired. I'll join you on the cookie dough eating though!

Jilly Holly wrote: "Yeah I don't want to go on a jog, never mind read about someone going on a jog. Color me not inspired. I'll join you on the cookie dough eating though!"

Sounds like a plan. Put on your yoga pants, a t-shirt that you don't mind spilling on, and your fuzzy socks. Cookie-dough and Netflix binging at mine! ;)

Molly Definitely Trendy and Fresh XD LOL

Jilly Molly wrote: "Definitely Trendy and Fresh XD LOL"

Yeah, I'm rocking these acronyms!! :D