Lynsey (A Bookish Life)'s Reviews > Second Grave on the Left

Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

5112089
Feb 06, 2012

bookshelves: favourites

In some ways this was even more enjoyable than book one. Although I slightly preferred the murder mystery plot in First Grave on the Right, this time, because we know these characters now and have a lot more info on the bigger picture, it was more effective. I was saddened by some of the scenes and revelations because I care about these characters and what happens to them. Yet more evidence that, although this series is hilarious in places, it has a serious underbelly that catches you by surprise every now and again.

Charley has experienced a rather steep learning curve recently. Specifically about her own skill set. It's great that even though it seemed like we began with a girl who knew all there was to know about being the Grim Reaper, she really couldn't have been more wrong.

This series has some outstanding secondary characters that really support Charley and allow her to shine. I particularly love Cookie, her BFF. Their dialogue scenes are excellent in the way they bounce off one another. I like UB (Uncle Bob) too for his supportive nature. I also really like Garret and their repartee. As a possible second option, he's pretty darn cute. And then of course there's Reyes Farrows *thud*. The man gets more mysterious the more you learn about him. How is that even possible?

It's a shame that not everyone seems to appreciate Charley the way I/they do. Those bad guys just keep on coming. And they are not the only ones to blind side her in this instalment.

All in all, an excellent continuation to this feel good UF series. You know I have to go and read book three now, don't you?

5 Stars! ★★★★★

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Grave on the Left.

February 6, 2012 – Shelved
March 7, 2012 – Started Reading
March 7, 2012 –
20.0% "I bloody love Charley."
March 8, 2012 –
March 8, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 9, 2012 – Shelved as: favourites

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

How is this one? I found her tone got to me after awhile. Well, mostly when she got incapped and called people names. :P But I do want to see what's up with her steamy romance and all his baggage.

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life) It's good so far. I really like Charley's humour and the slogan T-Shirt references at the beginning of each chapter have me cracking up.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hehe, she shops at Spencer's gifts.