Peter Knox's Reviews > The Three-Body Problem

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

liked it
bookshelves: 2019, fiction, kindle

This was a wholly original read. I can't recall ever reading a sci-fi translation before, but I also at times wished that the heavy scientific/physics proofs themselves were translated a step further into laymans term - as much of the already dumbed down science went over my head, despite it being clearly realistic and researched.

So while I feel outside of the science/space/video game/technical-enthusiast audience for this book, it was still an extremely engaging epic of enlightened storytelling. There's the authoritarian-enforced anti-intellectual thought-police dystopia background, The Arrival/Contact-like set up of listening for life outside this world, an undercover police informant trying to solve a puzzle that's consumed himself, and a subplot of a massive multiplayer (WoW-like) video game sandbox, that all comes together like a Wind-Up Bird Chronicle translation meets Cloud Atlas chronological complexity mixed with Seveneves sci-fi otherworldlyness.

Basically, pretty epic. But at times, very much not for me. If the above sounds like it's for you, this triology would very much be for you.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three-Body Problem.

February 27, 2019 – Started Reading