JoLene's Reviews > The Kitchen House

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

Feb 06, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction, library, read-2012

This is the story of Lavinia, an Irish girl who becomes an indentured servant when her parent die on the voyage over to America. The captain, James Pyke, brings her to his plantation and she is raised by his illegitimate daughter who is a kitchen slave. The story follows Lavinia as she grows up surrounded by the house slaves who become her surrogate family. However, her circumstances change as she gets older and she is given an opportunity to get an education and ultimately, her period of indenture-hood is complete, and she must deal with the changed status. (I don't want to give away too many plot details).

I really enjoyed this book and the descriptions of life on the plantation. The slaves that comprised Lavinia's family were great characters and they made the best of difficult circumstances. The main character of Lavinia was not as rich; she had a difficult life and I had a lot of sympathy for her, but I didn't really fall in love with her. I was sad to see the book end, but I was also not happy with the ending --- it almost seemed to wrap things up too quickly which is why I couldn't give it 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen House.

February 6, 2012 – Shelved