Tessa's Reviews > The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

U 50x66

** spoiler alert ** It's odd reviewing such an old, classical book, but I will say that I'm glad to have read it. TCOMC of course suffers from the serialization that birthed it, but that can be part of it's charm, as an introduction by Umberto Eco states. It's a look into the history of the period, not only of French political history, but also its literary history and the popular newspaper serials of the day. While the ending seemed slightly abrupt, the image of the white sail on the horizon is a particularly poignant conclusion.

As for the plot, there seemed to be a lot of confusion about Providence/God's will. This is my main criticism. Sometimes it seemed unclear as to what Dumas was trying to imply about the Count's quest of vengeance--was it ordained? Was he the agent of God? Did he overstep his boundaries? Why kill innocent Edward if it wasn't a commentary on the consequences of playing God? Dantes experiences doubt, especially after Edward's death, only to alleviate those doubts with another visit to the now empty Chateau d'if. He is once again the agent of God and completes the final stage of his plan. And Valentine truly got the short end of the stick if you ask me; a month spent living with the Count's household and she is only informed of her family's fate through a letter, and one not even addressed to her? Well at least she's rich now.

I'm not sure I am a fan on how this book resolves the issue of justice--honestly the part which rang with the most truth was when the Count first begins to really doubt his quest when Morrel reveals his feelings for Valentine. This is the most accurate representation of the complexity which is justice, whether it is personal or impersonal. Every action has consequences, even those actions which are to punish those who have wronged. In this passage I felt the most connection to the story, and is therefore one of the most important points of the novel (another compelling passage was the death of Caderousse).

Overall, I found it a gripping story. Particularly fun were the revelations made to each of Dantes's conspirators, which stirs in all of us the fantasy of reigning supreme over our enemies (I would not try this at home, kids). TCOMC is a fun and dangerous plot which kept me turning the pages, though the implications of this story should be taken very seriously, both now and forever more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Count of Monte Cristo.

February 27, 2019 – Started Reading