Tiera McMillian's Reviews > Silk & Steel

Silk & Steel by Ariana Nash

it was ok
bookshelves: march2019

I was not prepared for this, I didn't read the blurb before starting this book, that was my bad. About 10% in, I had to take a breather and go back and read it. I have to be honest though, the blurb is a tad misleading. It gives the idea that there is some story here, but I could barely find it amidst the smut. The whole book had some Anne Rice "Sleeping Beauty" vibes, but with way less consensualness... pretty sure that is not a word but I'm just going to roll with it. I was also very unprepared for the venom with which the certain races viewed our male characters and their sexual preferences. Maybe the author was trying to draw attention to it, like calling attention to it in real life? I don't know it just didn't set well with me, and it was never resolved which made me even further uncomfortable. The blurb is the backstory and the world building here. Once you start your thrown in..

Our main characters are Lysander - prince of dragons, chained by his roll in the amethyst dragon society, and constantly belittled and insulted by his oh so very evil and messed up mother the queen, for being "broken" because he is only attracted to guys. Eroan, elf assassin of the order, come to murder the queen but is stopped by Lysander and ends up becoming a prisoner and tortured mercilessly at the queens whim. The queen uses Eroan to get Lysander to be more cooperative in her schemes to use him, basically as a brood mare, that is up until she pushes Lysander too far and he snaps. This causes chaos in the amethyst kingdom as well as allowing Eroan to escape with secrets to defeat the dragons.. Lysander must flee to a different dragon kingdom or face the wrath of his people, but turns out its just as bad.. Eroan journeys to make alliances to bring down all of dragon kind and end the age of dragons..

Truth be told here there just wasn't really, hardly any story.. The characters were never truly developed enough for me to actually become involved with them.. I'm not even sure I ever really felt "sorry" for them.. which is kind of frightening considering what they go through.. some of it is pretty horrific. There was just a lot of smut, and anger, and shame, and it was just kind of sad I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silk & Steel.

February 27, 2019 – Shelved