Tiera McMillian's Reviews > Heart Of The Goblin King

Heart Of The Goblin King by Lisa Manifold

it was ok
bookshelves: march2019

1.5ish rounded up to 2. I am not even sure where to start this.. Ok for this entire book it was like an outline was laid out with certain plot points the author wanted to hit. These plot points in themselves weren't a problem whatsoever, and would probably have made a decent story, if not for the stuff between them. The "journey" or "meat" of the story like the dialogue, backstory, world building, character depth, DETAILS... These things get you from one plot point to the next, tiny little details that push you in the direction you need to go to reach the next point. I felt like these were all almost afterthoughts.. Where the author suddenly realized that her story wasn't where it needed to be to hit the next point so she just threw something in to hurry it on its way.. It was quite jarring, incredibly convenient, horribly obvious and kind of sloppy.

Lets start out with our FMC Iris. Iris is apparently college age, however acts like a spoiled 10? year old. So much so that she actually throws a tantrum, in the story. For realz. That's about it on that front. Brennan honestly we don't really see much of him unless he is in the middle of a temper tantrum as well.. and then mostly he storms off. I feel like these characters had absolutely no chemistry nor were there any interactions to convey to the reader that these characters had any feelings for each other, other than some vague referencing and denials.. I really believe that in the author's mind the chemistry was there but it just never made it to the page, so the reader was like ummm what?

The "mystery" of the story, who is attacking Brennan.. was very poorly executed. The attacks happen, noone finds any real clues, the dragon kingdom may or may not have something to do with it BAM the culprit identifies himself via note in an area of the castle having nothing to do with anyone, nor is there ever even a real motive given... The most anticlimactic ending after a very poorly done reveal.

During all this above.. we have characters whose dialogues all seem a little forced being pushed in the direction of the next plot point. Almost like they are just filling space on the page not really saying anything significant and then all of a sudden saying one thing to push us on to the next scene. It wasn't hard to get through, it just seemed a little juvenile.. maybe? The book itself was super short and not hard... at all to follow. It just wasn't.... yea it just wasn't for me I guess. That is all...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart Of The Goblin King.

February 27, 2019 – Shelved