Dhawal Joshi's Reviews > Glitter and Gloss

Glitter and Gloss by Vibha Batra

liked it
bookshelves: my-recommendations

Here's another book which has landed me in a reviewing dilemma. I'd be lying if I didn't say I totally enjoyed the book but at the same time it kinda threw me off the guard as I was expecting something different.

If you are a mainstream reader who read serious novels a lot and you pick up this book, it'd actually throw you off your guard. This book will make you laugh as if someone is constantly tickling you. It's a humorous chick-lit story. The only another book I can compare it with would be 'My Clingy Girlfriend' which had made me laugh on a similar level.

The characters are weird and funny, almost close to real life. It shows insides of a glamour world in a comical way. There's humor maintained throughout the story and even serious situations don't feel serious enough. The cover was more of graphical avatar of the title. The blurb had made me expect some saas bahu drama which didn't begin until the other half end of the story.

The plot was typical and nothing special to talk about. But the narration here is a double edged sword. If you are a person who thinks of books as some serious literature content and entertainment part of it is side tag-along then this book is something you should avoid.

Narration is something which can make you really love this book or hate it at the same time. I felt like one of my south bombay/delhi female friends is telling me a juicy gossip story. It has a ton of web series/shows, as well as cultural slang references. The story is Hinglish ( a mixture of hindi and english that we usually speak in day to day life.) which can be a hit or a total turn off for you if you are a serious type of reader.

If you are someone who watches a ton of series and shows, has at least some knowledge of trends and makeup then this book won't confuse you at all. I had to search a lot of makeup products and other character references since I am not the person who watches most shows. Although I loved the Big Bang theory references alongside some How I met your mother references as both are my favourite shows, later is most favourite.

I was in a dilemma to give it a full 5,4, or a 3 but ended up giving a three just for the sake of entertainment. If there had been a warning for Hinglish narration, crazy trends stuff and super casual language with no actual depth in story then I could've passed it as a 5 star since it was a total entertainer but since it was passed as your average chicklit novel I'd have to give it a 3 since it lacked in most aspects.

I didn't wanna bash it since I enjoyed reading it totally but it'd be unfair with other books i've reviewed based on the same criteria.

So, if you are in a bad mood, tired of reading serious books, and are in a look out for some fun slangy humourous read then this book is something i'd totally recommend. It's a light read which will tickle your heart out. It's like a salman khan movie, the story may or may not make a sense but its a total entertainer.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glitter and Gloss.

February 27, 2019 – Shelved