Lisa's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

bookshelves: february-2012, 2012

So first I must disclose that I have read Outlander at least twice in the past and I love the story line but this time around I wanted to give the audio book a go. I have wanted to reread this series but with each book exceeding 800 pages there just was not a way that I could reread the series and read anything new at the same time. Thus came the idea of listening to the book since I have over a hour commute each day I can listen to about a CD a day. Keep in mind that this still meant that it took me almost a month to listen to whole book. But I really enjoyed it maybe even more so than reading it. I think the reason behind this is that I just got to enjoy the language and movement of the story without stressing if I was catching everything or struggling through some of the Gaelic.

I will say, as is true with the book, either you will love this story and reading of it, or it will not be for you. Diana Gabaldon is amazing at writing a story that crosses over so many different genre types. There is time travel, romance, war, witches, history, and so much more. By far this is one of my favorite series of all time. My only frustration is the amount of time between book requires me to reread when a new one is coming out and that is quite a time commitment, but always worth it.

One of the best parts about the audio portion is that the readers is authentic and does a great job with the emotion and the Gaelic, I loved hearing how the words should be pronounced, in most cases not even close to how I would have thought. It is a beautiful language.

Overall, I would recommend this audio book but be aware of the commitment it will take to get through the entire story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.