Danielle Wright's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Feb 06, 2012

The first thing I noticed about Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children was its quality. I have a minor obsession with the physical composition of books, and aesthetically this book is stunning. I was immediately drawn to this title based on its interwoven vintage photographs and quality construction, and I stuck around because of the creepy yet elegant plotline. I am a huge Clive Barker fan, and there were many instances while I was reading the book where I felt as if this text could have been Clive’s (in my head, we’re on a first name basis) brainchild. I was astonished to learn that this was Ransom Riggs’ first novel, because of its presentation and quality.
As a reader, I enjoy the melding of art and prose. With books such as Hugo Cabaret, Wonderstruck, and The Abarat being the most commendable attempts I’ve experienced recently, I was worried that Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children would fall short, because the author did not personally create the art in question. I worried that there might be a disconnect, but I was wrong; I could not put the book down, and at the final line I felt myself praying for a sequel.
This novel would definitely appear in my classroom library. It is an excellent example of courageous characters, with just the right amount of magic to drawn students in. There are some dark themes within the novel, but the text would provide an interesting forum to discuss tolerance, as well as appreciating individuality. It consists of rich vocabulary, and I found myself composing vocabulary activities while I read. A potential lesson plan might include teacher and/or student collected photography, allowing students to imagine a narrative for their selected photo. This would remind students that stories are everywhere, if they only open their minds and eyes to the possibilities presented to them on a daily basis.
In Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Riggs has created a lavish tale of risk-takers: Miss Peregrine and her peculiars, Jacob and his courageous grandfather, and of course we cannot forget the island, where time either does or does not stand still.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.