Karen's Reviews > Early Riser

Early Riser by Jasper Fforde

190448

it was ok

It's clear I'm going to be the outlier here. As someone who has never read Jasper Fforde before, I am not exactly sure what compelled me to pick up this book in the first place. I do read a bunch of science fiction and I've read many dystopian novels and I can be a big fan of the absurd, clever humor. I've devoured and loved every book by Douglas Adams so I thought this might be fun.

But then I got lost almost immediately. One review I read said it might be fun to read this on audio but I am wondering if that's what went wrong for me. If I should have just read it on paper instead. Or if I should have read it more in one long sitting, etc. I just kept getting disconnected from the story and never had any attachment to any of the characters.

I thought of putting it down many many times throughout and in retrospect that's exactly what I should have done. Midway through this would have been a 3-star read but by the end I was so tired and frustrated that I could not possibly give it that.

There are many, many fans of the author and maybe one day I can pick up a different book and give it a shot but for now, I'll move on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Early Riser.

February 26, 2019 – Started Reading
February 26, 2019 – Shelved
February 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Lisa I've read ALL of Fforde's other books and rated all 4 or 5 stars (except Shades of Grey), and had a similar reaction to this one that you did. It was kind of plot-less. I gave this one 2 stars. I read it on paper. Still kind of tedious. Read his other books. Start with The Fourth Bear or The Eyre Affair.

Karen Lisa wrote: "I've read ALL of Fforde's other books and rated all 4 or 5 stars (except Shades of Grey), and had a similar reaction to this one that you did. It was kind of plot-less. I gave this one 2 stars. I r..."
ooh this gives me hope! Thank you Lisa, I will give him another shot :)