Jane's Reviews > Surviving the City

Surviving the City by Tasha Spillett

Surviving the City is a graphic novel that follows Dez and Miikwan, two teen friends who live in Winnipeg. Dez is facing being placed in a group home because her grandmother is becoming too ill to care for her any longer. Miikwan's mother is one of the many missing and murdered Indigenous women in Canada.

I really liked the way this story showed the girls just living life -- going to school, hitting up the mall, working on a class project -- but still highlights some of the common plights faced by Indigenous peoples (especially the young and women) in Canada. I found myself wishing, though, that there was a bit more detail provided about some of the ceremonies discussed in the story.

At the back of the book, there's a great section with lots of facts and info about Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women, Girls, and Two-Spirit People in Canada. I would have loved to see some similar information about the problem of over-representation of Indigenous children in the foster care system.

Overall, though, this is a good story to begin introducing to people who are unaware. It's just a first stepping stone, though, since this story barely scratches the surface.

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Portage & Main Press for providing me with a DRC of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surviving the City.

February 25, 2019 – Shelved
April 29, 2019 – Shelved as: middle-grade
April 29, 2019 – Shelved as: o-canada
April 29, 2019 – Shelved as: ya-kids
April 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

JV (semi-hiatus) Superb review dear Jane! 🥰

message 2: by MissBecka (last edited Apr 30, 2019 12:29AM) (new) - added it

MissBecka Gee Wow, this sounds amazing!
Thanks for the great review Jane!

Jane Thanks guys :) I really liked the way this book covered the issue.