Jennifer's Reviews > Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker by Inara Scott

U 50x66

bookshelves: caretaker-alpha, contemporary-romance, cute-pets, netgalley, strong-heroine

This was a seriously feel-good romance, from the lead characters, Tess and Mason, to Tess's little white dog, Astro, right down to Wick, the utterly adorable, but rather untrained mastiff on the cover.

Tess is 26 yrs old and due to a rather crappy upbringing, dropped out of school at 16, but eventually got her GED, and is now in college, trying to finish up a degree and move on to vet school. She lives in a falling down old house inherited from her grandma, and tries to make ends meet and stay out of debt by working 3 PT jobs (dog walker, vet assistant, and gardener) while going to school. One day, while taking out a couple of dogs in his swanky San Francisco building, she meets Mason, a golden-boy venture capitalist who recently got saddled with Wick, his sister's untrained mastiff. Unfortunately for Mason, the dog is on medication that makes him need to relieve himself pretty much every hour. As the "rainmaker" partner in his firm, Mason's job mainly consists of socializing with movers and shakers, taking meetings, and bringing in new business, so Wick has put a real crimp in his work. When he meets Tess in the elevator, he sees her as the answer to his prayers, and hires her for immediate 8 AM to 8 PM dog sitting.

Although their attraction is immediate, self-reliant Tess is hesitant to get involved with anyone, while commitment-phobic Mason wants to take care of her and just generally wants her, but can't recognize how much deeper his feelings go. These two are pretty adorable as they get to know each other. For Tess, trust comes especially hard as she's been betrayed by pretty much everyone in her life other than her grandma and her best friend. The book wasn't all just surface and light, it definitely plucked my heartstrings a few times. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the next book which I think might feature Tess's best friend and Mason's business partner.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartbreaker.

Started Reading