Leila's Reviews > Rockabye: From Wild to Child

Rockabye by Rebecca Woolf

Jul 15, 2008

liked it

Hmm. I agree with the other reviewers who noted that this book reads like a blog. Which, of course, makes sense given the author's popularity as a blogger. I guess when it comes to an entire book, reading like a blog is not necessarily a good thing. My reactions to the observations and writing style were uneven. At times I really related to her experiences (despite not being a mother myself) and times when the style (and/or content) grated. Oddly the tone was sometimes sort of sanctimonious, despite the point generally being that she was learning stuff off-the-cuff. If the chapters were blog entries, I would have skipped those entries that annoyed me.

As others have noted, there really isn't much in the way of "wild" in the book. So be ready for mainly "child". On the plus side, there are some funny stories and the book is a quick easy read. Decent light summer fare. Just be prepared to skip the blog entries, er, chapters that are particularly judgmental of other mothers or that are overly repetitive or schlocky.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rockabye.