J.R. Vincente's Reviews > The A-Zs of Worldbuilding: Building a Fictional World From Scratch

The A-Zs of Worldbuilding by Rebekah Loper

F 50x66

I have always been a fiction writer, but I have exclusively written in the "real world." I might make some mild changes like omitting STDs and pregnancy scares for the sake of sexiness, but I have never even touched on the realm of historical fiction, much less worldbuilding. The idea of it, honestly, was terrifying.

That's why I was so excited to pick up a book that would guide me through the process of worldbuilding! I have had an idea floating around in the back of my mind that would take place on Earth but in a totally different society than what exists, but I had absolutely no idea how I would ever make that idea a reality. I didn't even know where to begin.

Well, now I do. The A-Zs of Worldbuilding helped me to work out my ideas. I decided that I would read through the whole book once and then I'll go back and work on actually outlining my world. That was a mistake. I should have just worked on my outline as I read the first time. But, the book is 140 pages, so it was a quick read, and it's not a big deal to go back.

The writing was direct and succinct. Rebekah Loper explained things clearly, and the ideas were easy to follow. She even referenced other resources if you needed more depth or other chapters within her book for deeper thoughts. I am really excited now to delve into the realm of worldbuilding! 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The A-Zs of Worldbuilding.

Started Reading