Mary Anne's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Mary Anne by: Keith

Like a few others, I saw the film and then read the book. The fact that I loved the film might impact my review of the book, but in my opinion, it's all about the storytelling. And that said, I found the format of this book to be fascinating. The story itself was very elegant and stunning, and the illustrations are clearly part of the book as opposed to simply accompanying the text. This book would have been very different without those very unique illustrations. Hugo himself is a fantastic main character. This was a story of excellent substance, with full, complex characters and elements of tragedy that don't overwhelm the overall story. I highly recommend it to people of all ages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Quotes Mary Anne Liked

Brian Selznick
“I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too.”

Brian Selznick
“I hope the snow covers everything so all the footsteps are silenced, and the whole city can be at peace. ”

Brian Selznick
“In that moment, the machinery of the world lined up. Somewhere a clock struck midnight, and Hugo's future seemed to fall perfectly into place.”

February 5, 2012 – Shelved
February 11, 2012 – Started Reading
February 11, 2012 – Shelved as: fiction
February 11, 2012 –
page 150
28.14% "Completely stunning. I started reading it at my friend's house and hope to get back to it soon."
February 17, 2012 –