Sophie's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

This review also appears on The Dreaming Reader.

Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

My AP U.S. History teacher used to joke that he'd given us fun projects for the final couple months of the year because they always erased the bad memories we had of the grueling tests and homework packets we had to do for the majority of the year.

And that's what the last fifty pages of The Scorpio Races have done. They were so intense, they basically obliterated the mind-numbing monotony of the other 350 pages. I would've given this book 5 stars for the last 30 pages alone. But nope. Stiefvater had to attach the other 300+, and so I am aggrieved that I can't give it a very high rating because of them.

When I say monotonous, I mean bored-out-of-mind monotonous. I was praying for something to happen, and I skimmed a lot of the paragraphs about Thisby or the details of the island and races because there were so many of them. Don't get me wrong, Stiefvater does have a gift with words, but it got a bit grating to keep learning about the sea and the horses over and over. Then again, if she hadn't focused on the world-building, the world of The Scorpio Races might not have come as alive as it did. That's the crux of the matter. Also, the book actually got pretty creepy and gory. I liked that.

I was practically begging for Sean and Puck to just do it in a patch of cliff grass or something. I mean, Sean and Puck don't even meet until 100 pages in, and their relationship progresses at the rate a snail takes to go uphill. Which is not bad at all, but took a lot of the excitement out of the book. And what is it with all the parents missing? That's just...weird and coincidental. I would've liked to know more about them, since Sean didn't seem to feel all that bad about his father being eaten up. Maybe I skipped more paragraphs than I should have?

I liked the characters (George Holly. What a badass. Oh, and Benjamin Halvern and his butter tea. I sort of want to try it), though, and the sweet romance once it started going. Sean was quite different from all the guys I've been reading about, with his sharp demeanor and quiet devotion. However, I'd have to say my favorite part was the relationship between Sean and Corr. It's just one of those friendships between animal and human that's stronger than you could ever expect. They're totally my OTP now. All in all, I'm satisfied with this book despite the utter boredom I went through, and I'm definitely encouraged to read Shiver now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

February 5, 2012 – Shelved
June 23, 2012 – Started Reading
June 23, 2012 –
0.0% "Okay, Stiefvater. I've heard good things about your werewolf series, so I'm reading this as a test run. HIT ME."
June 25, 2012 –
page 104
25.43% "Alrighty. They've finally met. Stuff better start happening now."
page 148
36.19% "This plot is really being dragged along by the details :/"
page 274
66.99% "If Puck and Sean have some sexy time in this book, it will alleviate the persistent boredom that I've been experiencing the entire time. PLEASE LET SOMETHING HAPPEN. I'm dying slowly here, Stiefvater!"
page 347
84.84% ""You leave nothing to assumption," Dory Maud says. "You swallow her with your eyes. I'm surprised there's any of her left for the rest of us to see.""
June 26, 2012 – Shelved as: be-still-my-ya-loving-heart
June 26, 2012 – Shelved as: is-it-over-yet
June 26, 2012 – Shelved as: writing-gorgeous
June 26, 2012 – Finished Reading

Tiffany YES, definitely. Especially that bit about those last 50 pages :D

Sophie Glad you agree! I was gripping the covers of the book during the race part, which contrasts greatly with the copious yawning in the beginning.

Tiffany Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Shiver, though. The bit about the race came off really dystopian. Romance-wise, I like how unconventional Puck and Sean were (as slow as it was), kinda like Veronica Roth and Tris and Four.

message 4: by Maru (new)

Maru haha just for those last 50 pages now I feel like reading this book... Might have to go into my to-read, I have never read anything by Stiefvater yet, so we'll see how it goes... Great review!

Sophie It's interesting if you just sit down and read. If you have other stuff to do, it's not worth it. I do like Stiefvater's style, so I think she's worth a read.