Devann's Reviews > Codename Villanelle

Codename Villanelle by Luke Jennings

liked it
bookshelves: a-adult, g-mystery-thriller, sg-lgbtia, c-dl, z-19-06-girls-and-gays, 2-5-star

actual rating: 2.5

I almost never say this, but the show is just MILES better than the book in this case. I'm really impressed that they managed to make such a compelling and nuanced story out of this book, which reads in a very paint-by-numbers kind of way.

All of Villanelle's backstory that is slowly revealed throughout the show is just dumped on the reader at the very beginning of the novel. She inexplicably has a trophy wife BFF that she hangs out with in Paris all the time despite us constantly being told that she doesn't like people and is unable to form any kind of lasting relationships. Eve doesn't show up for a very long time and isn't focused on very much at all.

Also like ...I would not call this book sexist by any means, but it is just very obvious that it was written by a man and that the TV show was primarily written by women. There are definitely some male authors that write very compelling female characters, but Luke Jennings is apparently not one of them and there was just a weird disconnect for me the entire time I was reading this.

I will try the next book both because it is fairly short and also because I have to do something while waiting an entire year for the next book, but unless you are just really into incredibly standard thriller / spy books [which I am decidedly not] I would just recommend watching the show, which I think definitely brings an entirely new level to the work psychologically.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Codename Villanelle.

February 24, 2019 – Shelved