Kevin's Reviews > Stonewielder

Stonewielder by Ian C. Esslemont

Feb 05, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Lovers of convoluted fantasy

Another excellent addition to the Malazan universe by Ian C. Esslemont. The details of the world continue to be filled in as Esslemont tells his story of the expansion of the later Malazan Empire.
Perhaps the most interesting (and troublesome) aspect of Esslemont's series is his constant change of style. Each of the three books have been written in a different form, with Stonewielder being in the most convoluted style I ever read. Esslemont switches point of views so often, it could be said that he had ADD during the writing of the novel. Add this to the common Malazan technique of the characters knowing and understanding waaaay more than the reader, and we have a novel that is frustrating to the casual fantasy reader.

Now, a couple concerns expressed the most about this book. Yes, there are characters you've met before, no you do not really spend much time with them. Yes, there are Stormriders, no you do not really learn much about them. Yes, I can see this leading up to Erikson's The Crippled God; no, you shouldn't read this between Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God.

There was only really one aspect of the ending that I felt was 'rushed', and that would have been the "assault" on the tower in the end. At the same time, I don't know if it could have been written any better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stonewielder.

February 5, 2012 – Started Reading