Rebecca's Reviews > The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler

Feb 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: exercise, non-fiction

I'm really on the fence about this book.
Things I liked:
+ The author is funny! The book is entertaining.

+ I learned things! (Although with a caveat (see below).) I now know why building muscle helps build strong bones, and that there are different types of muscles - strength and endurance.

Things I didn't like:
- Author says you HAVE to have a post workout shake, either whey or soy. What if you can't have either? And the author also says to eat less processed foods. What do they do to this stuff to get it in powdered form, PROCESS IT? Are there any alternatives you can make yourself or whole foods you can eat?

- Author spends a noticeable amount of time talking about his past theories on exercise being wrong. Why is this one right?

- The exercise program is a little confusing.

So while I'm thoroughly convinced I need to get stronger (especially if I want to get a bike again!), I'm still not sure exactly how to do it. I may re-read this.

ETA: I have gone through this program twice. I am definitely stronger. Surprisingly stronger. Like surprised when I went to load my harp in my car and assumed I was using the usual amount of force and practically threw it in the car.

I hadn't previously done a weight-training program, did not consume any protein shakes or powders, didn't visit a gym (I modified some of the exercises for home), now want to visit a gym at some point, didn't lose weight (didn't really need to), and am looking for a next training program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

February 5, 2012 – Shelved
February 5, 2012 – Shelved as: exercise
Started Reading
November 17, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 23, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction

Angel Graham I know right. I'm allergic to both Soy and wheat.

Khadijah Whey is not wheat