unperspicacious's Reviews > Listen to Your Child: A Parent's Guide to Children's Language

Listen to Your Child by David Crystal

Feb 05, 2012

bookshelves: childrens-literature, family

As a new parent I've finally come to appreciate the exhausting enormity of the emotional rollercoaster that lies ahead. But to witness, and coax, language development in the little one is without doubt one of the high points of this winding, amazing journey. This book, while rooted in the tape-deck age, is an absolute joy to read - the words just leap off the page! I'll have to come back to this book repeatedly as our kid grows...it has worked well so far as both guidebook for the uninitiated and sheer entertainment.

----
My wife and mother of our 5-month old boy purchased an old second-hand copy of this for me...it's a no-brainer for her as she's in the language development profession, but perfect for dummies like myself. Nothing like having a kid of one's own to finally work out what's the big deal about linguistics in general...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Listen to Your Child.