Suzy Michael's Reviews > A Collection of Nightmares

A Collection of Nightmares by Christina Sng

bookshelves: reviewed-books

*I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

A Collection of Nightmares is a compilation of speculative poetry by Christina Sng. The cover itself is a warning/ or foreshadowing of what awaits you. Something beautiful and morbid. You are never quite sure which. Is the woman in the water just floating in a dreamlike state, or is she about to go under, being pulled by a nightmare, her body sinking to the depths. Do not assume where Ms. Sng's poems are going. Let her lead you through her nightmares, ones you cannot wake up from. Because you are already awake.

A Collection of Nightmares consists of 40 poems written by Christina Sng. This collection resides more in the Science Fiction sub genre of Horror, but it is Horror nonetheless. These poems envelop the true definition of nightmares -surrealism, vulnerability, helplessness, and sorrow. All while looking through the lens of a science fiction perspective.

This was my first introduction to science fiction poetry. And though I'm not a huge fan of this particular sub genre, I was delightfully surprised with how much I enjoyed it!
The poetry itself was beautifully written, with depth and emotion. I loved and appreciated the fact that many of the poems were told from a woman's point of view.
Now, even though I said these poems were beautifully written, make no mistake, they do not tell beautiful stories. These poems are haunting, and dark, with a hint of humor. Some of my favorites were The Bone Carver, Succubus, and Just as Papa Said. But the one poem that thew me was The Marvel of Flight. It describes a woman's thoughts as she is free falling from the top of a skyscraper. Ok, so this is why this poem was a gut punch. I'm not afraid of heights at all. But ever since I was little, I've had this very detailed, re- occurring dream where I'm at the top of a Ferris wheel. The bucket tips, and I fall from the very top, and just as I'm about to hit the ground- which is cobble stoned- I said it was detailed, I wake up. Just typing this is giving me some anxiety. But when I read this, I almost had a full blown panic attack and had to put this down and come back to it later after I calmed down. Now, this may seem like a bad thing, but I have to applaud anyone that can elicit such a raw, visceral reaction from one poem. That's some pretty damn good writing!

A Collection of Nightmares is an intricate, elaborate, and vivid work of poetry. This was not Christina Sng's first foray into poetry, and her skill shows. This is not hard core Horror poetry, like some I have reviewed in the past, but I would recommend this to anyone, especially someone who wants an introductory into Horror poetry. Christina Sng is a seasoned and imaginative poet, and I can't wait to read more from her in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Collection of Nightmares.

February 22, 2019 – Shelved
February 22, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 6, 2019 – Started Reading
March 6, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 13, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed-books

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Thanks for doing such an in-depth review!

Suzy Michael I try my best!