Laura's Reviews > Bridles Lane

Bridles Lane by Johanna Craven

bookshelves: audio

I received this book for free. I am voluntarily leaving this review and all opinions expressed herein are my own.

I have not read any of this author's books but what a great introduction by way of this book. It is the first book in the series West Country Trilogy. It is not a standalone story and ends with many threads of the story unresolved.

This story is loosely based on a true historical event. Here, Isaac comes home to find both of his parents deceased and a sister Scarlett in the orphanage. With no means to care for her, he briefly contemplates leaving her behind. But instead, Isaac takes Scarlett home and is forced to make difficult decisions to care for his family - not always on the right side of the law. One night a ship washes ashore. Some of the villagers gather to plunder the ship. However, they soon discover that the ship has no crew and barely any goods to take. However, Scarlett finds an injured man on the ship. She sneaks him off the ship to nurse him back to health. This man tells Scarlett about a treasure to be found and she agrees to help him find it. But, since the ship's arrival, things have started to change in the village and the villagers believe they have been cursed. What happened to the crew of the ship? Is there truly a treasure and does Scarlett's father have anything to do with it?

I really liked the village setting and the hysteria which develops, in part thanks to the Vicar. The interactions between Scarlett and Isaac made you feel like you were eavesdropping on real family dynamics. The author's manner of writing - short descriptive sentences, some just a word or two long - added to the tension/suspense of the story. I can't wait for the next book in the series.

I listened to this story -the narrator, Rebecca McKernan, did a very good job. The only slight ditraction - She has [or uses] an Irish accent, which a few times caused me to misunderstand what she said. For the entire story, I thought Scarlett's name was Charlotte due to pronunciation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridles Lane.

February 22, 2019 – Started Reading