Zuleeza's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Feb 04, 2012

liked it
Recommended to Zuleeza by: Wild Things: YA Grown-Up group's steampunk/cyberpunk themed read for January
Read from January 26 to February 05, 2012

This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

Oh dear, I saw that Cassandra Clare is a fine author, but I don't get why all the buzz and hype over her books. I honestly thought I'm going to adore this book. She can't be successful for her Mortal Instrument series for nothing can she? I mean, what a better way to join the bandwagon than to read the first of the prequel books for the best-selling series?

Hmm...I feel indifferent towards this book. Maybe I like it but I expected better than this. The beginning excited me very much, it reminded me of Sherlock Holmes and Kuroshitsuji. Tessa's ability blew my mind away, very original indeed but I was hoping she had given more chances to utilise her talent.

The twists and turns were somewhat intriguing, albeit I successfully guessed the main one (which obviously didn't help improving my impression towards this book). Tessa as the female lead, ironically with the power to change her appearance, barely had any personality. Will and Jem (I thought there supposed to be a love triangle? Am I missing something?), huh...if you like bad boys, you would go for Will or otherwise, Jem would be your favourite.

It is understandable that this book is the prequel to an established series, but I found the earlier parts as unnecessary complex. In similar vein, it was a bit disappointing as the graceful tone of the Victorian era language was slowly dissolving as the book approaching its end.

Except for the tight knot I felt over the attic scene, the romance was just so-so. I guess, this book and the series is just not for me :/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.