Jessica Lewis's Reviews > Normal People

Normal People by Sally Rooney

19959478

bookshelves: 2019-faves, 2019-releases, love-story, novels

This is one of the books I’ve enjoyed the most this year, and yet it’s the one I have the hardest time talking about. I flew through it in a haze, entranced by the awkward relationship between Marianne and Connell told in this matter-of-fact yet wistful language.

The book follows the pair from their senior year in high school through university. Marianne was the weird one in high school while Connell was the popular jock, but in university their statuses flip, which they never fully recover from. I was emotional while reading this, at times rooting for them and at others wishing they would just say goodbye already. At first I resisted the style of dialogue without quotations (it’s still not my favourite, I find it pretentious) but it grew on me enough to let it go. Reading Normal People feels like you are getting the juicy inside gossip about a couple in your social circle without being involved.

“He feels like the fear has consumed him and turned him into something else now, like he has passed through the fear, and looking at her is like swimming toward her across a strip of water. He picks up the cigarette packet and looks into it. His teeth start chattering and he puts a cigarette on his lower lip and lights it. Marianne is the only one who ever triggers these feelings in him, the strange dissociative feeling, like he’s drowning and time doesn’t exist properly anymore.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Normal People.

February 22, 2019 – Started Reading
February 22, 2019 – Shelved
February 24, 2019 –
page 28
10.26% "I am so invested in this book it hurts."
February 26, 2019 –
77.0% "This book is destroying me but it’s so good.

“There’s always been something inside her that men have wanted to dominate, and their desire for domination can look so much like attraction, even love.”"
February 28, 2019 – Finished Reading