C.G. Drews's Reviews > Monuments

Monuments by Will Kostakis

oh this was a bit of a fun one, with gods waking up under Australian schools and kids getting accidental superpowers. It's a comedy first, so I read for the humour and quirks (there are some EPIC one-liners here), rather than overthinking the depth of the plot. It worked so well with the Aussie laid-back culture here too. Like, shh, I know it's a stereotype, but I could just totally SEE this. Tell a kid he's woken a god and he's like, "ya cool mate", and stops eating chocolate covered almonds to tag along and see how it all goes.

Such golden Aussie humour the whole way through.

basically the story follows Connor as he accidentally solves a secret puzzle room and finds a statue that comes to life
he's basically moping because his ex-best-friend called him boring, so a lot of his first motivations for following Sally, a guardian, as she wakes the gods, is because he doesn't want to be boring. 😂And he's SUCH a Hufflepuff that he just takes it all in and goes with it. They meet a motley cast of gods and other guardians and school kids they're impersonating, and a boy who is possibly The Prettiest Ever. There are swords and stops for very drippy burritos and there is a lot of exceptionally bad driving. It's an adventure and a romp and it will make you laugh!

I did have a lot of questions about how these all-powerful gods couldn't protect themselves. "We're immortal!" they say, before crumbling to dust for the dumbest reasons. But I think the charm of the book was that it was a bit nonsensical too?

i also really loved all the diversity!
it's #ownvoices for gay and Greek rep (!!) and Connor just casually blurts "I'M SUPER GAY" to a very lovely brown boy at a ball he's not supposed to be at...and they quickly connect. It's totally instalove, but it was endearing. I would've liked to see all the characters go a little deeper.

and i definitely busted up laughing out loud several times
like the quips were just on point! i remember really laughing in The First Third and I enjoyed The Sidekicks, so here for Kostakis' super engaging voice!

basically this is like a comedy tousled with a bunch of gods, and puzzles, and conspiracy theories, all heralded by a hufflepuff boy who kind of doesn't want anyone to get hurt or be sad, and ends up with a massive sword and a heck of a lot of supernatural responsibilities. This is what happens when you skip class and toss eat chocolate almonds into your mouth until you drop one and it shows you the way to a secret passage way. stay in school, kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monuments.

February 22, 2019 – Shelved
October 6, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
October 6, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 6, 2019 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
October 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Deborah (new) - added it