Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > Wanderlust

Wanderlust by Skye Warren

liked it

Love this author, but not this book as a whole

I am torn on this book. The concept is new and different- definitely not a tired rehash of something in 100 other books. There were several individual scenes in the book that were pretty hot. Scenes that were exciting. But it didn't quite come together as a whole for me. Perhaps it was too short to spread its wings to its full potential?
I felt that Evie's character wasn't consistent. She seemed to bounce back and forth between enjoying the adventure, and desiring to escape. She wants to call the cops, and then not too long later (she didn't see him during this in-between period) she swears she wouldn't call them/wouldn't send him to prison. I couldn't quite keep up.
I enjoyed the backstory of Hinter. I (eventually) enjoyed Hunter in present-day. But I didn't think the backstory of Hunter made sense for present-day Hunter. Without revealing spoilers I won't get into it, but assuming that his backstory is supposed to be an explanation for why he is the way that he is... I didn't buy it. I don't see someone with that backstory displaying the behavior that he does- his acts, his beliefs, even his language.
I do love this author's writing overall- she writes some of the hottest scenes out there. I'm all about possessive/obsessive/stalkerish alpha men who aren't afraid to go to extremes, and she delivers. That said, I wish there had been a little more to it with this one. I wish there had been more time to slowly develop the relationship between Evie and Hunter- it felt too rushed. The period of time between Evie feeling negatively toward Hunter (you know, for raping and kidnapping her) to when she became attracted to him was far too short for me. It seemed like she just decided one day that she loved him. And sadly, I didn't buy in. I WANTED to, because Hunter's pushiness (a kind way of putting it) came across kinda hot, honestly. After the initial interaction, of course.
Don't judge me.
Anyway, I liked many of the scenes of this book individually. I just sorely wish there were more of a transition between her negative feelings toward Hunter, and her subsequent positive ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanderlust.

February 21, 2019 – Shelved