Regina's Reviews > Willing Victim

Willing Victim by Cara McKenna

bookshelves: erotica, owned-kindle, novella, realistic-romance
Read 6 times. Last read January 1, 2011.

To read this review and more like it please check out BadAssBook Reviews

The title and blurb may turn people off and perhaps scare people off. But I do think the title and the blurb are misleading. I will tell you what this book is not – it is not a BDSM book. There are not rape scenes and there is no violent sex. What there is (amazingly) is very good character development, a slow building relationship, and some hot sex scenes that push the boundaries of some people's comfort level. In a very yummy and steamy way.

The story is told from the point of view of Laurel. She is bored with life and sort of stuck. She is no longer pursuing a career in her field of study and she is not sure what she wants out of life. Laurel meets Flynn and pursues him for a date. What follows is Laurel being the aggressor in setting up a date and time to be alone with Flynn. The pursuit was slightly uncomfortable because I kept imagining myself chasing down a hot guy in a park and asking him for date – I couldn't wrap my brain around it. But Cara McKenna is good at pushing those boundaries for her readers. In the end, Flynn makes Laurel push hard to convince him that they should get together. Most girls would give up - -I definitely would. But Laurel doesn't and admittedly, it feels odd. Not because it is written poorly – just the opposite. McKenna writes the scene well, but it feels odd for the female to keep insisting on a date! Flynn is a construction worker by day and an underground street fighter by night. Once the story takes off, the roles are turned and Laurel is no longer the aggressor. We soon learn why Flynn made it so difficult for Laurel, Flynn makes it clear what he needs and wants from a sexual relationship -- complete submission from his partner. He doesn't want to tie her up, he doesn't want to beat her or hurt her but he wants her to submit in a sexual relationship. But he tells her upfront and gives her a chance to walk away. Laurel doesn't walk away.

What follows are some very hot sex scenes. Flynn is a big sweetheart and very sensitive in everyday interactions. Slowly, Flynn and Laurel get to know each other. What McKenna writes so well in her erotica novellas, is the unraveling of the male character and his complete surrender to his partner. We are introduced to a strong male, completely in charge - -but in the end, he becomes completely undone by Laurel and that is the hottest thing in this book. I would have loved for this book to be longer and I would love for Cara McKenna to revisit these characters.

I am not a fan of BDSM books nor am I a fan of rape fantasies – this is not what Willing Victim is about. So if you like erotica and well written characters, then I highly recommend Willing Victim.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Willing Victim.

Quotes Regina Liked

Cara McKenna
“Silence, please? I'm trying to watch this documentary." Laurel nodded at The Bachelor. "I believe one of the females is about to present to the alpha.”
Cara McKenna, Willing Victim

February 4, 2012 – Shelved as: erotica
February 4, 2012 – Shelved as: owned-kindle
February 4, 2012 – Shelved as: novella
January 4, 2015 – Shelved as: realistic-romance
Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 12, 2016 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 13, 2016 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
August 13, 2016 – Shelved as: favorite-authors (Kindle Edition)
August 13, 2016 – Shelved as: favorite-series (Kindle Edition)
August 13, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites (Kindle Edition)
August 13, 2016 – Shelved as: sex-sex-sex (Kindle Edition)
August 13, 2016 – Shelved as: realistic-romance (Kindle Edition)
August 13, 2016 – Shelved as: rea (Kindle Edition)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Leea (new)

Leea Great review!

Regina Thanks Leea. I think it may be time for my re-read of this short story.

message 3: by Leea (new)

Leea Yeah, it's been awhile :)

Angie Elle I'm getting ready for a reread of this. I just realized I never reviewed it, and I must remedy that immediately!