Maria's Reviews > My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life

My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life by Rachel Cohn

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, eye-catching-title, teen

Part Cinderella story, part travel guide and part mean girls, this is a book about Elle Zoellner, who was placed in foster care when her mother goes to prison for abusing pain medication. Then her mysterious Japanese father tracks her down and invites her to Tokyo. Kenji Takahara, is actually a Japanese hotel mogul and he lives in his mega hotel. Soon Elle is carpooling to the elite ICS a.k.a the International Collegiate School of Tokyo and trying to fit in.

Why I started this book: Darling cover and I thrilled that this book was set in Tokyo.

Why I finished it: You know when you watch a movie and love it because its' set in a place where you've been? (The 4th Bourne has a special place in my heart because of Seoul, South Korea.) This book was like that. I liked it because it stars Tokyo, but someone who doesn't have that connection will be more likely than not frustrated with the scatter shot approach to the story. There is so much going on in this book. Moving to a new country is huge, moving in with a mystery parent is huge, starting a new school is huge, not speaking the language is huge, having you grandma hate you is huge, being pressured to make social connections for a new family is huge... are you getting the picture? But maybe I'm being too adult in this review, who wouldn't want to teenage fantasy of moving to a new country, finding a rich parent and cool friends and have every problem the kind that you can gloss over in a page or two?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life.

February 21, 2019 – Shelved