Valentina Heart's Reviews > By His Rules

By His Rules by J.A. Rock

Feb 04, 2012

bookshelves: glbt, glbt-bdsm, the-romance-reviews
Read from February 04 to 12, 2012

This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

BY HIS RULES is certainly a different take on BDSM. While it did contain some of the usual scenes I've read about in other book, the main concept broadened my horizons and at the same time showed two very different sides of sexual kink. The combination of good writing and novelty kept me interested to the very end and made me ask that one question every author should aspire for – Where can I get more?

Aiden is an actor who cruises the BDSM scene. He can play any role and submit to any Dom while being amazing at it. That is his view of his life anyway. He does enjoy play, but for the most part he craves to please without really taking into account that everything pleasing to others might not be pleasing to him.

That is how he ends up under Scott's tender care. Scott is one Dom who lives to abuse. His punishments have no rules and his play knows no limits. By the end of Aiden's stay with Scott, he learns that not even his safe word is safe and the line between rape and consent is as much wide as it is thin.

Without another place to go, he ends up with another Dom. Keaton is as different from Scott as vanilla is from chocolate and for Aiden, who has seen the hard side of the world, Keaton couldn't be more mild and still be called a Dominant.

From that moment on, the heavy abuse turns into domestic discipline relationship, where spankings are used for corrections of bad behavior and getting your mouth washed out with soap knows no age limit.

Since I am twisted that way, I enjoyed the first part of the book. It was very violent and limitless that it kept me on the edge of my seat wanting to see how the situation would play out. At times it was rather hard to believe Scott could act the way he did and actually enjoy it. The humiliations and degradations were what threw me off the most, because Scott seemed like a man who wanted a submissive, so there was no gain by actually killing him with starvation or forcing him to take his own life due to constant self-esteem crush course.

The second part of the book made me stumble a bit. I've never read about domestic discipline before, and as the pages went by, I had a difficult time accepting Aiden, who was into pain, was suddenly alright without it. After the hard beginning, Keaton's way of things seemed almost bland and unsatisfying, even going so far as pushing me to the conclusion how domestic discipline is not something I will prefer to read about in the future.

However, relationships are made by two people and Aiden's insecurities and his tries to be as good a boy as possible evened things out and the initial intrigue I had about this story reappeared.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The wrong and the right way to do things was pushed to the extreme in both instances and made a lovely balance to round up the story. This time it was not about BDSM as a pleasure kink, but rather of the influence it can have in its different forms toward an experienced individual. Even those experienced are not always safe and even they can find something new with a different type of lifestyle.

To get back to that question from the first paragraph, in this story I saw the author's ability to go into extremes and still hold onto the characters and their personalities with a steel grip. Each person, be it good, bad or in between, kept the intensity and in the end made this story be about the people and not their sexual interest. What I would like to see next, is a conventional BDSM story, where all those scenes shown in a bad light involve a good Dom and a sub who is genuinely begging for it. Oh yeah, I'm kinky enough to admit I would like to read a bit, or even better – a lot – more BDSM scenes written by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By His Rules.

02/04/2012 page 232