Kaye 's Reviews > Last Night

Last Night by Karen  Ellis

This was such a satisfying read. The writing was so strong, the characters so fully-fleshed, the insights so penetrating that I would have read on for pleasure without the hook of suspense -- or rather, of dread -- over the fates of three young people in danger in New York City.

This is the first book I've read of Karen Ellis's; I missed A Map of the Dark, the first in this series. I plan to remedy that soon, since I've already reserved the e-book from my library. The point is, my pleasure in this book wasn't dimmed by coming into a series at mid-point.

Another element I liked was the compressed time frame. The story occurs over a span of -- what? 36 hours? In that brief period, enough happens that we get a clear look into the inner and outer lives of perhaps a dozen characters, from materialistic Baby Boomers to a sinister arms dealer and a young homeless boy living rough on his own. And these were just the peripheral characters.

Last Night should resonate with anyone who has shown up at a demanding job and tried to function in the face of personal heartbreak, extreme lack of sleep, or the lure of addiction. Lex, the detective in search of the brilliant, mixed-race, newly graduated Crisp, is battling all three, yet his good mind and good heart serve him well.

Crisp, too, has a good mind and good heart, but he is confused about his racial identity, he's just suffered an outrageous indignity at the hands of the police, his prefrontal cortex is several years shy of maturity -- and, well, there's a girl involved. Crisp makes one bad decision that seems to snowball. Whether his wits can save him is an iffy thing.

Thanks to NetGalley for an advance reader's copy of this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night.

Started Reading