Kirstie's Reviews > All My Darling Daughters

All My Darling Daughters by Fumi Yoshinaga

The first chapter follows Yukiko and her mother (who are largely the linchpins for the whole series if not always the actual main characters) and their complicated relationship which becomes more complex when you add the mothers new husband, who is younger than Yukiko! The characters are all wonderful and fun, and I'm gad I got to read more about them in the following chapters too.

I struggled a lot reading the second chapter/story. Especially the ending. (view spoiler)

The third story, about Sayako looking for a partner through arranged marriage was surprising and wonderful. Tatsuhiko is a such a cool character. I loved him (view spoiler).

Chapter four with it's school-hood friends losing touch/reconnecting is touching, especially watching their life goals changing as times moves on to reconnect with the present.

In the final chapter we reconnect with Yukiko and her mother and uncover more about the relationship between Mari and HER mother and how that affected how she in turn mothered Yukiko. It was a lovely way to round out the book.

Overall I enjoyed the book (ignoring that difficult second chapter) and found it an interesting look women in Japanese culture. As usual Yoshinaga-sensei's art is lovely too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All My Darling Daughters.

February 17, 2019 – Started Reading