Jodi Papazian's Reviews > The Key to the Golden Firebird

The Key to the Golden Firebird by Maureen Johnson

Feb 04, 2012

bookshelves: ya-reads
Read in February, 2012

I loved this story. It was such a quick and engaging read that I put it down only long enough to eat dinner and even then my eyes kept drifting back to the page.
May, Brooks and Palmer come home one day to find an ambulance at their house. The unthinkable has happened - their father has died suddenly of a heart attack as he was pulling into the garage in his beloved Firebird. The story next picks up about a year later and the girls are all a mess trying to deal with their pain. Palmer suffers from anxiety attacks and insomnia while Brooks turns to alcohol and running with the wrong crowd. May takes on the role of caretaker which takes a serious toll on her as no one is around to care for her.
Emotions eventually come to a head with the sisters and they learn what each other has been going through. In a way to begin the healing process, they decide to take their fathers ashes (found stored in a shoebox in the closet) and drive in the Firebird to Camden Yards to scatter them on the pitcher's mound.
This book had me going through all different emotions. It was just so real and relatable and the characters were written in such a great, complex way. I'm always a fan of Maureen Johnson but so far, The Key to the Golden Firebird, is my favorite of her books.
An easy one to recommend to older YA readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Key to the Golden Firebird.