Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~'s Reviews > Rock Bottom Girl

Rock Bottom Girl by Lucy Score

bookshelves: arcs

Have you ever read a book that you could relate to so well that it gave you anxiety? Rock Bottom Girl did that for me. I believe there are four types of high school experiences. One being you loved high school and everything about it. The second being you absolutely hated it. The third being you pretended you loved it when you actually hated it. And finally, the fourth being you have both good and bad experiences. That's me. I fall into the third category with a touch of the third. High school was not great for me in freshman year. I wasn't bullied but I had a hard time trying to find my place. I ended up making friends that were not great in the way of role models. But thankfully, by my sophomore year, I knew who I was and who my true friends were. Unfortunately, there were not many of those. That said, I watched so many kids being bullied. Marley was familiar. There were so many Marleys in my high school. Unfortunately, there were more Amie Jo's than I could count. I was more than thankful to not be on their radars.

As I read through this book, the angst just kept building. I really didn't know how Marley's life would turn out. And while she was very stubborn in her way of thinking, I understood her. There were many predictable moments that made me cringe and laugh at the same time.

Marley was that bullied girl in HS. I seriously don't understand how she remained a decent person after all she had been through. I loved her character. She may have thought herself weak but Marley was anything but. When she moves back to her hometown after losing yet another job, broke and broken up with her boyfriend, Marley is at that place we call
“rock bottom.” Sometimes we need to hit that place in our lives to find a new perspective. Marley will take a temporary job as a gym teacher and soccer coach. Warily accepting this job, Marley will soon find out that this was the new direction her life needed. Nothing will come easy though. Marley admits to being afraid to return to HS even if she is an adult now. And sadly, she will have to deal with the school bully once again as this antagonist is a fellow teacher.

Of course, the bad boy of her youth still gets her blood pumping. There is also a story there but I won't go into details. Marley's journey, while angsty, is pure hysterics. Gosh, I laughed so much and so often through this book. My daughter thought I was crazy because of my loud bouts of laughter.

While this book brought back some less than pleasant HS moments, the author did a magnificent job in giving me new memories. Even if they aren't mine, I got to experience them. I can’t say enough good things about this book and I'm so afraid that I haven't done it justice in my review. This was actually the first book I ever read by Lucy Score. I am a huge fan now. If she writes all her books with this many feels, I am going to be a very happy reader!

I highly recommend this book to everyone. There is love, romance, a fake relationship, a hero donkey, and more laughter than my stomach muscles could take.

This is my honest and unbiased review. Thank you for taking the time to read it. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock Bottom Girl.

February 21, 2019 – Shelved