Bradley's Reviews > Atlas Alone

Atlas Alone by Emma Newman

bookshelves: 2019-shelf, sci-fi, space-opera, psychology, mindfuq

Over and over, I'm confronted with the fact that I'm in love with Emma Newman's writing. She keeps changing tracks with every novel, giving us completely different KINDS of novels while still intersecting them all in not very strange but emotionally impactful ways.

I mean, JEEZE. I could just mention what big thing happens in the other books and let all my gushy bits come out, but that's spoiler territory. What I will mention is my total respect for the way she treats trauma, surreal virtual-reality/dreamlike states, and the descent into Borderline territory.

And here's the kicker... I loved every single minute of it. Did I start rocking hard to the excuses, the feel of JUSTICE pouring through my veins, the visceral satisfaction of it?

Yes. Hell, maybe I'm a bit sick in the head. But I can do nothing but praise the author. She writes excellent science-fiction. Period. From science to the imaginative bits to the implications in the SFnal tropes. And all of it is handled beautifully -- even sticking to the current philosophical zeal to AI questions! :) I particularly loved the mirroring between the modern slavery questions and the overall fears we have about Artifical Intelligence.

And then there was the story taking place. :) Muahahahahaha what a kicker. No spoilers, but damn, what a great twist. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Alone.

February 21, 2019 – Shelved
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: space-opera
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: psychology
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: mindfuq
May 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn I'm enjoying Before Mars and will read more from her

Bradley I don't know if she's getting better or just taking sideways jumps, but the more I read, the more freaking impressed I get. :)