jessica's Reviews > Dumplin'

Dumplin' by Julie   Murphy

‘all my life i have had a body worth commenting on and if living in my skin has taught me anything its that if its not your body, its not yours to comment on.’

this is a book i wish i had in high school but a story i can still appreciate today. in fact, anyone who has ever had insecurities or issues with their body (which is literally everyone) should read this.

there are such a wholesome messages in this book - how loyalty is the key to meaningful friendship, no one can love you until you love yourself, true beauty is who you are and not what you look like - that i am able to overlook some of the slight negatives that stood out. because the idea of body positivity is one that i am super passionate about and something that needs to be represented in literature more often.

i love how this story explores and really praises the fact that everyone comes in different shapes, sizes, colours but that doesnt mean people arent special or important because of it. it doesnt mean beauty is a set standard. it doesnt mean those who look a certain way are better than others.

it means we are all unique and lovely and wonderful. it means those who think otherwise are not worth thinking about at all. and it means that you are the best you that only you can be.

so in the wise words of queen dolly parton herself - find out who you are and do it on purpose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dumplin'.

Started Reading
February 20, 2019 – Shelved
February 20, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 20, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Really lovely review! So happy you were able to connect with this story so much!

jessica thank youuuu! :)