Ava Oceana's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

U 50x66
3.5

When I found ACROSS THE UNIVERSE at the library, I spent several minutes trying to decipher what the cover was. I finally decided that the cover featured space fish kissing before I realized that it was actually a girl and a boy trying to kiss, Spider-Man style.

Before you laugh, look:

February 4, 2012 – Shelved
February 13, 2012 – Started Reading
February 14, 2012 –
page 203
48.8% "Hm. Going good so far."
February 14, 2012 –
page 300
72.12% "Hot damn. Ewwwww about the Season. GROSS."
February 15, 2012 – Shelved as: science-fiction-romance
February 16, 2013 – Shelved as: dat-title
February 16, 2013 – Shelved as: signed-copies
February 16, 2013 – Shelved as: paper-copy
February 16, 2013 – Shelved as: owned

shady boots | #20gayteen LOL lip-locked fish.

message 2: by Ava Oceana (last edited Feb 14, 2012 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ava Oceana fαuzαn | wιld нearт wrote: "LOL lip-locked fish."

Yeah!!!! xDDD.

shady boots | #20gayteen o_o Omg. I definitely see the resemblance.

Ava Oceana fαuzαn | wιld нearт wrote: "o_o Omg. I definitely see the resemblance."

I just realized its resemblance is more uncanny then I originally thought it was. LMFAO.

Nandanie dang! that is a coincedence! I really want to read this!

message 6: by Ava Oceana (last edited Sep 21, 2012 05:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ava Oceana MizzSandie wrote: "Do you guys not see the faces almost kissing as well in the dark space between the resemblance of the fishes kissing?"

Yes, especially when the background is white. But at first impression, it resembles something else.

message 7: by B.C. (new)

B.C. haha, it took my eyes like a minute to refocus so i could actually see the faces. All i could see were kissing fish. That was pretty good.

message 8: by Vee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vee Gretzinger haha i love it

message 9: by Half-Moon (new)

Half-Moon Weird. That's what I saw too, until I read your comment.

message 10: by Quartknee (new)

Quartknee That's what I saw too - now that I've seen the faces tho, it's harder to see the fish kissing

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Burns I am dying laughimh

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Burns Laughing-see I can't even type for laughing so much.

Ava Oceana I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. <3

Nandanie LOL! Oceana, you're awesome! :)

message 15: by Sveta (new) - added it

Sveta So true!!! I laughed at my stupidity after realizing I was looking at the cover the wrong way. Totally had that stereotypical AHH moment.

message 16: by Yulian (new)

Yulian Kuncheff Wow, did this just now too, I was wondering wth it was, then when you mentioned it and I refocused a bit, I saw it.

message 17: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne Yep, can definitely never unsee that :P

message 18: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea YES!!! I'm not the only one who had no clue what the heck was on the cover at first glance! I actually thought it was a glittery floating amoeba, but your interpretation is wayyyy better :)

Ava Oceana Lea wrote: "YES!!! I'm not the only one who had no clue what the heck was on the cover at first glance! I actually thought it was a glittery floating amoeba, but your interpretation is wayyyy better :)"

haha, I was so confused at first.

message 20: by Kitty (new) - added it

Kitty I thought the same thing! :o

message 21: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz CANNOT UNSEE. AHHHH

Ava Oceana Kitty wrote: "I thought the same thing! :o"

Elizabeth wrote: "CANNOT UNSEE. AHHHH"

lolololol you'll never see the faces again. Just fish kissing.

message 23: by Vee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vee Gretzinger honestly the book was as stupid as the cover...

Carly Svamvour Yeah - I see what you mean by that picture. A Spiderman style kiss. Ha ha!

A-pas-de-velours I love your first picture x)

Regina lmao i see now!

Luisa I'm not alone! Was feeling dumb cause I just read the comment and saw the faces.

Emily Crane OMG the fishies! That cannot be unseen now, thank you.

Ava Oceana Hahaha, glad you liked it. <3

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Don't worry, until this morning, I kept looking at this cover going "What is that sparkly blob squiggle?"

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't worry. The first time I saw the cover on line, all smallish on a side, I thought all the dark was the silhouette of a girl, from shoulders to chin, and the space between the to faces a collar.

Ava Oceana Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Zanahoria, I can see where you're coming from, but now that I've seen the fish, I can't unsee it. xD.

message 33: by Cristina (new) - added it

Cristina Lol love the realization! Took me a while to figure out the cover too but I had never thought of lip-locked fish. Love the idea tho!

message 34: by Gia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gia Haha that's hilarious! You're totally right, it looks like two kisser fish, but I never even noticed. Thanks for giving me a good laugh

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my god... I never knew what that cover was until now! Haha wow, it's so obvious now:)

Ava Oceana Haha, thanks you guys.

message 37: by Ladonna (new) - added it

Ladonna Wow, I never understood what the cover was but now I can't unsee it!

message 38: by Gia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gia Actually, the humans are not trying to kiss on the cover. Amy, the girl, is asleep in the ice (take a closer look and you will see her eyes are closed) and Elder, the guy, is watching her.

*SPOILER ALERT*
Elder was fascinated with her when he saw her bright red hair and pale skin, which contrasted the normal brown hair and olive skin that you would see on Godspeed (the spaceship). That is why he appears to be watching her on the cover while she, meanwhile, is frozen.

:D *zinggg*

message 39: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Lmao rite!

message 40: by Cari (new)

Cari Cannot unsee!

message 41: by Avery (new) - added it

Avery Dempsey OHHHHHH I SAW THE FISH TOO

It made me say "OH!!!!" so loudly that my family came to question what I was doing but yes now I understand thank you so much *phew*

Ava Oceana These comments are cracking me up! Ahahaha.

message 43: by Lolita (new)

Lolita Hahahahaha I love the cover! I love the new galaxy-design trend. I am yet to find the galaxy leggings. Wish me luck

message 44: by Lolita (new)

Lolita The fish are tooo cute

Ava Oceana Lolita wrote: "Hahahahaha I love the cover! I love the new galaxy-design trend. I am yet to find the galaxy leggings. Wish me luck"

Yep! This is the only cover design, though.

message 46: by Lolita (new)

Lolita Ohhhhhhh Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahha I can't believe I just realized that their a boy and girl!!! I ACTUALLY thought you were serious about the fish! Cuz I didn't read what you wrote I just saw the pictures! I feel like I just discovered a new planet. I must be crazy...

Annie Wow....I read what you thought it was and then what it really was, and yet it still took me a while to see the people! XD

Eveline (Eveline's Books) OMG, I had the exact same thing with the cover:)

message 49: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily I'm sorry I just need to stop for moment and let you know that my Mom and I spent literally 5 minutes examining the 2 pictures alternating between trying to figure out how the book cover was anything EXCEPT space fish and dying of laughter. I love you for those photos. Just...thank you. You've done us all a public service.

Ava Oceana Annie wrote: "Wow....I read what you thought it was and then what it really was, and yet it still took me a while to see the people! XD"

Eveline (Eveline's Books) wrote: "OMG, I had the exact same thing with the cover:)"

Amy wrote: "I'm sorry I just need to stop for moment and let you know that my Mom and I spent literally 5 minutes examining the 2 pictures alternating between trying to figure out how the book cover was anythi..."

HAHAHAHAH I'm glad I'm not the only one! Thank you so much for the love. <3