Kcduchess's Reviews > Depraved

Depraved by Eva Charles

liked it
bookshelves: 2019, of-life-fate-and-destiny, arc

Depraved is an intriguing first part of a story. To really make up my mind and give my final rating, I have to wait until I've read the second book of the Devil's Duet. Mainly, because the first part ends with a cliffhanger, my bookish pet peeve. I know that was expected since this is a part of a duet, but I dislike cliffhangers above everything.

The first chapter almost made me quit the book, JD was so infuriating, I just wanted to strangle the guy. And Gabrielle seemed so weak like she had no mind of her own. But I'm glad that I continued because nothing was as simple as I had first thought. There are evil schemes, vexing behaviour, burning hot passion and family secrets that are meant to stay buried.

I love how the story takes on many paths, and there are a variety of characters that keep your mind churning because there's no trusting anyone. The whole book is a swamp of secrets, some of them are revealed in the first part but many stay in the dark.

I liked a lot how Eva Charles depicts the history of the characters by memories, showing the readers snippets of their past to explain the present. She writes very well, the emotions are palpable and after the bumpy start, I found it easy to dive into the story and forget the real world. Now I'm incredibly anxious to get my hands on the second book because I need to know how the destiny of JD and Gabrielle plays out
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Depraved.

February 16, 2019 – Started Reading