Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, library

Sayuri’s story captivated me. There was something special about the writing style in that I felt every emotion. Moreover, there are an abundant of lyrically captivating paragraphs illustrating a rich environment and lifestyle so different from that of the Western World. Honestly, I knew nothing about life as a Geisha going into this book, so I wasn’t prepared for certain events which appeared throughout. However, I’ve learned a lot, particularly about Japanese culture in the early-mid 20th century.

I was completely invested in Sayuri’s story, in a world so different from my own, living a lifestyle I knew very little about. At a young age, her father sells her to a geisha house and she tells of her arrival at the Nitta okiya where she endures harsh treatment from everyone. Hatsumomo is cruel and manipulative and her okiya Mother demotes her to a maid after her trying to escape. Despite the hardships she faced, she grew to become a beautiful Geisha, accomplished in beguiling the most powerful men.

This isn’t an easy read and it requires patience to finish. I spent more time with this book than most; it’s not a fast-paced book. However, the writing style is what makes this book so special. Golden managed to make appalling events in the Geishas’ lives palpable for the reader through his elegant storytelling. Overall, although slow-paced, Memoirs of a Geisha is a poignant and unforgettable story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

January 5, 2019 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
January 5, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
February 20, 2019 – Started Reading