Tony Clay's Reviews > Expository Exultation: Christian Preaching as Worship

Expository Exultation by John Piper

bookshelves: preaching-books

When the majority of books on preaching are about delivery and study (which are excellent themes), this book interested me because of it's focus on exalting God. This is the third in a series of three books, and I have not read the previous two, but likely will given how much I enjoyed this read.

Undoubtedly, I disagree theologically with much of what John Piper believes and teaches, but the value of this book is undeniable regardless. Any preacher who reads this book will finish it encouraged, and charged up to exalt the Christ in his preaching.

There is one thing that I want to champion about this book. As indicated by the title, the emphasis is on expository preaching. It is my belief (and is taught by this book) that God is most glorified in rigorous exposition of the Text versus any other method of preaching. Piper enthuses over expository preaching as THE way to connect the listener to the glory of the Creator in preaching. In a preaching culture that spends more time with shallow topical sermons we all would be greater served in deep expository/text focus sermons.

It's my prayer that we will focus more on exalting the Almighty in our preaching, He deserves the glory.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Expository Exultation.

Finished Reading